Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Check it out Chicken Enchiladas


Check it out Chicken Enchiladas
I do like ethnic food. In fact, I don’t think I have met a food culture that I do not like.  We just had our first anniversary a few days ago and celebrated by going out for Indian food at our favorite place.  Indian food is one of my all-time favorites.  It is earthy and warm and filling with complex flavors and spices. It is also something I have not yet fully conquered in my own kitchen (though I plan to soon!)  But Mexican food is a usual go-to in our house, though enchiladas are usually time consuming and finicky. I simplified things and with a quick trip to the store (and about 11$ total) I had the fixins.  Truthfully, this came out better than I had hoped.  Even my husband, who usually hates chicken, told me that “the Mexicans would be proud.” This dish, in this quantity, would serve about 4 people. I would have (in an ideal situation) served rice and maybe a salad with this.  But things being as they are, I simply buttered a couple slices of French bread and called it dinner.  You are welcome to add more or less spice to this recipe as you see fit.  I am a spicy wuss, but he likes the hot so we compromise on a medium heat in most of our dishes. I would say that the way I prepared this dish it was about medium heat.  You can use mild sauce, mild salsa, omit pepper.  Or conversely, you can add chilies, hot sauce, or buy hotter salsa and enchilada sauce if you like the tongue-burn.   So here goes nothing.

2 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 packet fajita seasoning
1 can Ro-Tel
1 can traditional red enchilada sauce
Salsa (6 or 7 tablespoons)
6 small soft tortillas, flour or corn, but corn works better
Cheese, and kind, any amount you like (more the better, if you ask me, I used queso fresco and shredded cheddar.)
Sour cream for serving

Sprinkle chicken liberally with fajita seasoning and brown in a skillet with a tablespoon or two of oil and a couple shakes of black pepper.
Set cooked chicken aside or, if you like (and you have time) shred it.
Combine can of Ro-Tel and can of enchilada sauce in a bowl and stir well.
Lay out one tortilla at a time and fill with cheese, chicken, and a spoonful of salsa. (see picture)
Roll tightly and lay seam side down in a baking dish.  Repeat.
Pour sauce and Ro-Tel over rolled tortillas. Top with crumbled or shredded cheese.
Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes until bubbly.
Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with more shredded cheese and sour cream.
 laying out the ingredients on the tortilla for more easy rolling. from bottom to top, chicken, cheese, salsa
 laying rolled tortillas in baking dish seam side down
 pre-bake
 post-bake. MMMMMMMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment